The Houston divorce lawyers of Gregory Law PLLC understand that you never anticipated divorcing your spouse, but when the decision has been made, it is crucial to aggressively protect your assets and your interests. We know how much is on the line, so our team is ready to stand up and fight for what matters most to you. Our team is meticulous, detailed, and knowledgeable, which means that we bring a preparedness to your divorce case that few others can match.
During a divorce proceeding, you may have to reach agreements about alimony, child custody and support, and the division of your assets. With so much at stake, you need a lawyer who will zealously advocate for your rights and will identify and build a case to protect every conceivable asset and resource. Don’t leave any of these important aspects of your life up to chance. Contact a lawyer from Gregory Law PLLC today at (713) 861-1293 to schedule a confidential consultation with a member of our team today.
Why Do I Need a Lawyer to Handle My Divorce?
Divorce is a naturally trying time in any person’s life. An experienced and compassionate divorce attorney can relieve you of the burden you are carrying and can help you navigate this emotionally complex and challenging process. Your attorney will work zealously to ensure that you are taken care of, both now and in the future.
An experienced attorney will help identify all assets that should be considered in the fair and equitable division of property. This includes sophisticated asset tracing to find any assets that might have been hidden by your spouse prior to the divorce. Keep in mind that hiding assets are not just for extremely wealthy individuals. Any person might have a “rainy day” account that their spouse was unaware of, and those funds must be considered in order to keep the process fair and transparent.
Also, your attorney can help you determine what spousal support needs to be paid. They will work to minimize the potentially negative impact that the divorce proceedings can have on your children. Finally, an attorney will ensure that your divorce is granted as quickly as the law allows. They know how the process works and how to get the proper paperwork to the court so that the divorce decree can be issued and you can get on with the next chapter of your life.
Why Choose Gregory Law PLLC?
At Gregory Law PLLC, our staff has over 40 years of experience helping people just like you in Houston protect themselves, their children, and their assets in divorce proceedings. Because of that, we understand the sensitive nature of divorces, and we understand that there is often a lot of time, emotion, and effort put into marriages that, for whatever reason, are not working anymore. We are your advocate in your divorce. Put an experienced and compassionate team on your side, and let us fight for you.
Cases We Handle
Divorce is never simple. At Gregory Law PLLC, we have experience handling every aspect of many different kinds of divorces, including:
- Contested Divorces: A contested divorce is one in which the spouses cannot agree to work together harmoniously to equitably share what has been accumulated in the marriage, whether that is money or other assets, custody of minor children, or financial support after the marriage is dissolved. Each spouse hires their own legal counsel to fight, even to the point of a trial in front of a judge, for what each of them believes they are entitled to from the marriage.
- Uncontested Divorces: An uncontested divorce is one in which both spouses come to a mutual understanding about how to divide their common property and assets, as well as how minor children will be cared for and what kind of financial support will be provided after the marriage has ended. Separate paperwork for each spouse must be filed by an attorney with the court.
- Property Division: Dividing property fairly can be a big challenge in divorces, especially when there are a lot of assets, like houses, cars, rental properties, businesses, and professional practices, involved. Fair does not always mean equal. An attorney is needed to sort out which properties are marital and which properties are separate, as well as what constitutes an equitable division of marital properties.
- Post-Divorce Issues: Even after a divorce is finalized, there may still be issues that you will need a lawyer to handle. These may include addressing custody issues because of a move, resolving issues with the marital property that was not included in the original settlement, modifying alimony, updating wills and trusts to reflect the dissolution of the marriage, and addressing remarriage.
- Business Valuation: If a business or a company was established while the couple was married, an attorney will need to be involved to help determine the value of the company or business using the proper legal standards – either fair market value or fair value – of the company or business. Once the business valuation is completed, then the lawyer will help determine the equitable distribution of business assets, if applicable, and business income.
- High Net Worth/High Asset: When married couples who have significant assets – like real estate, big retirement accounts, business interests, investments, and large incomes – decide to divorce, it is important that those assets are divided fairly between the two parties and that minor children are taken care of after the divorce. An attorney can ensure that all the marital assets are on the table (trying to hide assets is, unfortunately, common in high net worth/high asset divorces) and that they are fairly divided among both parties.
- Mediation: Mediation is an alternative to traditional divorce proceedings in that an attorney acts as an objective third party to negotiate a fair agreement between the divorcing couple. The attorney’s role is to help identify all the issues and conflicts between the spouses. Then the attorney facilitates the negotiations about those issues and conflicts between both spouses, with the outcome being a divorce agreement that is acceptable to both parties. This is an out-of-court process that is often less acrimonious than traditional divorces can sometimes be.
The Houston divorce attorneys of Gregory Law PLLC have extensive experience handling all of these matters. We are always available to listen to you and discuss the best course of action for your case.
Let the Houston divorce attorneys of Gregory Law PLLC help you get the most advantageous divorce agreement that not only considers what you have put into the marriage but also makes sure that you are appropriately taken care of when the marriage is legally dissolved.
We serve the legal needs of families in the greater Houston area and throughout all of Texas, and we are ready to assist you. Gregory Law PLLC is bilingual and we offer all of our services in both English and Spanish. You deserve a fair divorce settlement. Call us at (713) 861-1293 or email us today and let Gregory Law PLLC go to work for you.